The Dwarves see subterranean caverns and delvings as vital environments, as alive as any forest glade, as can be seen from Gimli’s description of the beauty of the Glittering Caves of Aglarond. Perhaps, then, there are Dwarf hunters just at home in (and in tune with) the subterranean realms as those hunters who travel the sunlit lands.
Stalking the dark halls of Moria is second nature to this stealthy Dwarf. No cave-dwelling goblin can evade his pursuit, for although no tracks are left on the stone of the floor, this underground tracker need only hear what bare rock can tell. The temperature of the cavern is slightly cool but constant, so he need not wear heavy clothing — just sturdy leather garments for protection. His hooded cloak of muted shades with a variegated pattern affords him some camouflage against the carven stone of the corridors. His only concession to ornamentation is the gold trim on his boots, vambraces, and pauldrons; after all, he is a Dwarf and in his heart is a love of precious things.
This outfit was my attempt to answer the question, “What would a subterranean Dwarf hunter wear?” I’m quite happy with the result. I really like the gloves and wish I could have used the matching shoulders, but unfortunately the shoulders that match these gloves have an undyeable orange fur trim (whereas the undyeable fur trim of the gloves is black). Has anyone ever seen the shoulders in black trim, or the gloves in orange trim (or vice-versa)? If so, please let me know!
- Shoulders: Dwarf-make Campaigner’s Shoulder Guards (crafted — tailor T5; or looted — world drop/general), black
- Back: Cloak of the Dark Halls (promotional reward — GamesRadar Mines of Moria promo), black
- Chest: Dwarf Leather Shirt (purchased — Thorin’s Hall medium armour vendor; or looted — world drop/general), black
- Hands: Irman’s Gloves (looted — Barad Gúlaran/Udúnion), black
- Legs: Ceremonial Spear-shaker’s Leggings (bartered — skirmish camp cosmetics quartermaster/Helegrod cosmetic clothing – medium), black
- Feet: Dwarf-make Campaigner’s Boots (crafted — tailor T5; or looted — world drop/general), black
Tips: I used a short-sleeved world drop version of the crafted Sturdy Dwarf-make Leather Armour because I liked the slightly different appearance of the sleeves — the short-sleeved version has striping which reflects the striping of the cloak. The long-sleeved crafted version would look great with this outfit as well. I used Irman’s Gloves, but the same skin also appears on the more frequently found Gauntlets of the Sun-lands (looted — world drop/level 49).