In the culture of Rohan, some unmarried and childless women chose to be trained and to fight as warriors. These were the shieldmaidens, examples of which can also be found in many Scandinavian and Germanic myths and legends. It is unclear to what extent the shieldmaidens of Rohan were expected to do battle, but it is imporant to remember that the most renowned of the shieldmaidens, Éowyn, was not forbidden to join the Ride of the Rohirrim because she was a woman. She was a shieldmaiden and had been trained for war, her gender was not the issue; rather, she was commanded to remain behind as the interim ruler of Rohan. We are told that Éowyn was the only shieldmaiden who rode to the aid of Gondor with the muster of the Rohirrim, so it seems that the others may have been required to stay behind to defend their villages in case the field was lost at Pelennor.
It may be that shieldmaidens took part in other battles in and around Rohan during the war. Here is one such shieldmaiden, ready to defend the Fords of the Isen. She is armoured in iron scales and a strong breastplate, and her helm bears the brazen likeness of a charging horse. A triple crest of horsehair forms the horse’s flowing mane. She wields a stout spear and a shield of heavy wooden planks with an iron boss. She is well-equipped, well-trained, and prepared to fight to the death defending her land.
The helm used in this outfit was at one time an extremely rare and coveted drop from (rumour has it) the rewards chests at Glân Vraig in the Ettenmoors. It is possible that it is or was an exceptionally rare world drop as well. These days, it is readily available as a purchase from the Store. The helm is fancy, but my favourite part of this outfit is actually the cloak. Even though it has no symbol or design on it, something about it just says “Rohan” to me — I’m not sure why!
- Head: Helm of Rohan (purchased — LOTRO Store), burgundy
- Shoulders: Steel Shoulder Guards (purchased — Bree-town heavy armour vendor; or looted — world drop/general), rust
- Back: Heavy Quilted Cloak (crafted — tailor T2; or looted — world drop/general), Rivendell green
- Chest: Armour of Fém (quest reward — Angmar  Crannog’s Fifth Challenge), Rivendell geen
- Hands: Gauntlets of Fém (quest reward — Angmar  Crannog’s Second Challenge), rust
- Legs: Plate Leggings of Fém (quest reward — Angmar  Crannog’s Third Challenge), Rivendell green
- Feet: Breelander’s Leather Boots (purchased — LOTRO Store), Rivendell green
- Shield: Yew Round Shield (purchased — Combe heavy armour vendor)
Tips: The various pieces of the Armour of Fém share their appearance with the Armour of the North-drake (world drop), and the Breelander’s Leather Boots have the same appearance as the Boots of the Sun-lands (looted — world drop/level 49) and Rudhrod’s Boots (bartered — Iorelen’s Camp odds and ends trader). Note that the vendor-purchased shoulder pieces come in both distressed and a brand-new appearances. I’ve chosen the distressed version here, becuase I envision this shieldmaiden as having already been through several battles.