In late November, IIIA 2941, the dragon Smaug the Golden was slain by Bard the Bowman of Esgaroth. Smaug had been occupying the dwarf-halls of the Lonely Mountain for nearly two hundred years, and with his death his vast hoard of treasure was left unguarded. Thorin, the rightful heir to the throne of Erebor, claimed the treasure, but the Men of Esgaroth, with Bard conducting negotiations for the Master of Lake-town, also claimed a portion of the treasure as reparations for the destruction of their town and stocks and as were-gild for the townsfolk who were killed by the dragon. The Elvenking of the Woodland Realm, Thranduil, also set out to seize the treasure, believing there was no one left alive with a claim to it; but when he heard of the plight of the Lake-men, his army turned aside to aid them. When negotiations failed and an army of dwarves from the Iron Hills under the command of Dáin Ironfoot arrived to reinforce Thorin, it appeared that battle would erupt with the dwarves on one side and the men and elves on the other. Yet these three Free Peoples remembered their friendship and united once again when two further armies arrived to seize the treasure: the goblins and wargs of the Misty Mountains.
The elf is one the bow-masters in the army of Thranduil. He wears leather armour sturdy enough to protect him from enemy weapons, yet light enough to allow him to employ his natural speed and grace. His plumed helm of tooled leather is equipped with hinged cheek-guards and matches the design of his leather jack. His colours are the hues of autumn, rusts and browns with touches of reds and greens; and his cloak decorated with the falling leaves of his forest home. He wields a recurved bow of simple make but great strength, and in his skilled hands, it is a deadly weapon indeed.
Today’s outfit is the first in a three-part collection based on the Battle of the Five Armies. Inspiration for this outfit came when I noticed that the patterned leather portion of the helm from the Hunter’s Rift set reminded me of the patterns on one of the chest pieces found as a quest reward in Dunland.
- Head: Ceremonial Doom-hunter’s Helm (bartered — skirmish camp cosmetics quartermaster/Rift cosmetic clothing – medium), dark green
- Shoulders: Elven Outrider’s Shoulder Guards (crafted — tailor T3; or looted — world drop/general), umber
- Back: Cloak of the Falling Leaves (bartered — Harvestmath fall festival trader/cosmetic clothing), sienna
- Chest: Disused Robe of the Dunland Soothsayer (quest reward — Dunland  The Slovenly Work of Mange-rider), rust
- Hands: Gauntlets of the Golden Wood (crafted — tailor T7/Galadhrim reputation), olive
- Legs: Elven Outrider’s Leggings (crafted — tailor T3; or looted — world drop/general), orange
- Feet: Elven Campaigner’s Boots (crafted — tailor T5; or looted — world drop/general), sienna
Tips: The Disused Robe of the Dunland Soothsayer is available (by a number of different names) from several quests throughout Dunland. It is also available as the Rider’s Silken Shirt (bartered — Galtrev, Forthbrond or Grimbold’s Camp Rohirrim quartermaster). The gloves used in this outfit have the same appearance as the ones from the level 60 Mines of Moria instance cluster medium armour sets.