In late November, IIIA 2941, the dragon Smaug the Golden was slain by Bard the Bowman of Esgaroth. Smaug had been occupying the dwarf-halls of the Lonely Mountain for nearly two hundred years, and with his death his vast hoard of treasure was left unguarded. Thorin, the rightful heir to the throne of Erebor, claimed the treasure, but the Men of Esgaroth, with Bard conducting negotiations for the Master of Lake-town, also claimed a portion of the treasure as reparations for the destruction of their town and stocks and as were-gild for the townsfolk who were killed by the dragon. The Elvenking of the Woodland Realm, Thranduil, also set out to seize the treasure, believing there was no one left alive with a claim to it; but when he heard of the plight of the Lake-men, his army turned aside to aid them. When negotiations failed and an army of dwarves from the Iron Hills under the command of Dáin Ironfoot arrived to reinforce Thorin, it appeared that battle would erupt with the dwarves on one side and the men and elves on the other. Yet these three Free Peoples remembered their friendship and united once again when two further armies arrived to seize the treasure: the goblins and wargs of the Misty Mountains.
This dwarf is one of the doughty warriors sent from Iron Hills under the command of Dáin Ironfoot. These dwarves evinced the endurance of stone, for in addition to their armour, they each wielded a heavy two-handed mattock, carried a short sword at their belts, and wore a round shield on their backs as well as a huge pack of supplies against a siege. Our dwarf’s armour is crafted from the finest iron, heavy enough to turn aside the blows of any goblin-blade, and he is also shod and capped in iron. His grim face promises death to the goblins and wargs, ancient enemies of the Dwarves!
Today’s outfit is the third and final in a collection based on the Battle of Five Armies. Threk-hálm is a helm with a wonderful cosmetic that can be aqcuired by Guardians early on in the game. I really enjoy its crown-like appearance and its suitably dwarvish character. In place of the mattocks Dáin’s dwarves are described as wielding, I have had to give this dwarf a two-handed hammer. There actually is a more mattock-like two-handed hammer available as a world drop in game, but alas I couldn’t find one on the auction house to get this post up in time!
- Head: Threk-hálm (quest reward — Guardian  A Shield Against Adversity), washed
- Shoulders: Dwarf-iron Shoulder Guards (crafted — metalsmith T4; or purchased — Thorin’s Hall heavy armour vendor; or looted — world drop/general), washed
- Back: Dwarf-make Prospector’s Pack (bartered — anniversary event/Gift Boxes), grey
- Chest: Ceremonial Breastplate of the Brazen Call (bartered — skirmish camp cosmetics quartermaster/Moria cosmetic clothing -heavy), umber
- Hands: Dwarf-steel Gauntlets (purchased — Thorin’s Hall heavy armour vendor; or looted — world drop/general), grey
- Legs: Dwarf-make Steel Leggings (crafted — metalsmith T3; purchased — Thorenhad heavy armour vendor; or looted — world drop/general), grey
- Feet: Barrow-warrior’s Boots (bartered — skirmish camp classic quartermaster/Great Barrow – armour set), grey
Tips: If you don’t have access to Threk-hálm, there are a number of other dwarven-style helmets that would make good substitutes; for example the Dwarf-iron Helm (crafted — metalsmith T4). The Dwarf-make Prospector’s Pack can be found in anniversary event gift boxes. The chest piece used in this outfit has the same appearance as the ones from the other level 58 Mines of Moria instance cluster heavy armour sets. The boots have the same appearance as the Daerdúr Boots (bartered — Gath Forthnír heavy armour trader).