The Rangers of the North were called the Watchers by the Hobbits of the Shire and the Men of Bree-land, who had no idea that they were the noble remnant of the Dúnedain of Arnor. Given that they had a name for them, the simple folk must have have had some idea that the Rangers were lurking on the periphery of their lands, but they did not guess their true purpose and viewed the Watchers with suspicion and distrust. That true purpose was one of guardianship; the Rangers kept a tireless vigil over the Shire and the Bree-land in order to keep them free and peaceful; as Strider said, the Hobbits and Bree-men lived “within a day’s march of foes that would freeze [their hearts], or lay [their little towns] in ruin, if [they] were not guarded ceaselessly”.
This Ranger is stationed along the northern bounds of the Shire. Life here is generally quiet and peaceful, but in the past threats to the Shire have come from this direction: the Goblins of Mount Gram and the wolves of the Fell Winter. This Watcher at the bounds intends to see that no such foes pass into the Shire again. He wears travel-worn leathers of green and grey and earthy russet-red which help him pass unseen through the dappled light of grove, thicket, and hedgerow. Tall boots keep his feet warm and dry even in muddy weather and his hooded cloak is embroidered with the Sindarin word lemethed, meaning “journey’s end”. Though he avoids contact with his wards, the Hobbits, he has often observed them from afar and has grown quite fond of them and their simple ways.
I felt it was time for another Ranger outfit and I was trying to come up with a combination that felt a bit different while still having that classic Ranger-like look that I think is recognisable by all LOTRO players. It was also a great excuse to use Coldbane, which I’ve had burning a hole in my wardobe for a while now.
- Head: Worn Ranger’s Hood (quest reward — epic  Volume 3, Book 5, Chapter 1: Separate Ways – Corunir), Ranger green
- Shoulders: Shoulders of the Sun-lands (looted — world drop/level 45-55), burgundy
- Back: Coldbane (looted — Urugarth/Lagmâs), default
- Chest: Ceremonial Nenuial’s Jacket (bartered — skirmish camp cosmetics quartermaster/Annúminas cosmetic clothing), black
- Hands: Gauntlets of the Sun-lands (looted — world drop/level 45-55), burgundy
- Legs: Rhuvel-socas (looted — Pits of Isengard/Ironarm), grey
- Feet: Ceremonial War-captain’s Boots (bartered — skirmish camp cosmetics quartermaster/Helegrod cosmetic clothing – heavy), burgundy
Tips: Coldbane is dropped by Lagmâs in Urugarth but also drops in the open world in level 52+ areas. You may see it at auction if you keep your eyes peeled. There is a promotional item called the Cloak of Respite that has the same skin as Coldbane except that it is longer and hooded. I can’t seem to discover which promotion granted the Cloak of Respite, but if anyone can assuage my curiosity it would be much appreciated!