The Fell Winter was a season of harsh weather beginning in November IIIA 2758. Heavy snowfall blanketed much of the North, and the rivers froze as far south as the Greyflood in Eriador and the middle reaches of Mirkwood in Rhovanion. Because of the early and persistent snows, food became scare, particularly in the Shire, where the Rangers of the North and Gandalf the Grey had to assist the Hobbits in order that they did not starve. The Fell Winter finally ended, amidst widespread destructive flooding, in March IIIA 2759, but not before packs of white wolves had crossed the frozen Brandywine River and attacked the Shire.
This brave lad is one of the Bounders, bundled up in warm clothing and armed with a simple club and wooden shield to fend off the marauding wolves away up in the Northfarthing. He is clad in one of only a few corselets of mail to be found in the Shire (usually displayed at the Mathom-house in Michel Delving), not as much for defense against the wolves as for fear that desperate Big Folk from away north or east might also attempt to stir up trouble on the bounds. The old mail shirt is accompanied by an antique helm decorated with a small plume and two proud white feathers. Thick mittens and fur-trimmed boots protect his hands and feet from the biting cold, and a warm cloak completes his attire. The distant howling of the wolves between the trees is more chilling than the winter wind, but he is warmed and cheered by the ember of courage that so commonly smoulders in the hearts of Hobbits, long overlooked until it kindles to flame.
And the wintry outfits continue! This outfit is another try at using the Snowy Hoodless Cloak (previously attempted in the “deleted outfit”, Wolfsbane, that I mentioned in my first anniversary post. Here, I think the cloak blends a bit more nicely with the rest of the outfit, in particular with the funny, feathered helm, which I thought was just the thing to represent something the Hobbits would find in a dusty corner of the Mathom-house.
- Head: Bronadui (looted — Barad Gúlaran), washed
- Shoulders: Shoulders of the Westfold (pre-order — Rise of Isengard), default
- Back: Snowy Hoodless Cloak (bartered — Yule festival barter vendor/cosmetic cloaks), washed
- Chest: Nos-crus (looted — Fangorn’s Edge/tier 2), washed
- Hands: Oven Mitts (bartered — skirmish camp cosmetics quartermaster/cosmetic items), white
- Feet: Ceremonial Wandering Bard’s Shoes (bartered — skirmish camp cosmetics quartermaster/Rift cosmetic clothing – light), white
- Shield: Wooden Shield (quest reward — Guardian  Intro: A Strong Shield; or looted — world drop/general)
Tips: Bronadui drops in Barad Gúlaran and possibly other Angmar instances as well. Various pieces sharing the same skin as Nos-crus can also be found as quest rewards throughout Dunland. An alternative to the shield that I used in the outfit is the Crafted Buckler (crafted — metalsmith T2).
You may also like: