Between the rivers Hoarwell and Loudwater lay the Trollshaws, a hilly country cloaked in dark beech woods. At one time the kingdom of Rhudaur held sway here, but the Men of that land fell under the dominion of Angmar. By the end of the Third Age, Angmar and Rhudaur had fallen; and though the sinister-looking ruins of Rhudaur could still be seen looming on the hilltops, their builders were long gone. At some point it seems that Trolls had inhabited the region (indeed, Tolkien translated the Sindarin name Rhudaur as rhû “evil” + taur “wood” to give the same sense as Trollshaw, “shaw” being an archaic English word for a wood, forest; though in another place he translated it rhu- “eastern” + taur “wood”) but most of them must have been driven north into the Ettenmoors. Nevertheless, some trolls did occasionally come down into the Trollshaws; it was here of course that Bilbo, Thorin and company encountered three hungry trolls on a dark, rainy night.
This brave warrior is one of Elrond’s people. He loves the tree-cloaked lands of the Trollshaws, thinking them beautiful though they be filled with gloom, and would not see them sullied by evil. From time to time he crosses the Loudwater and comes into the woods to hunt trolls that have strayed down from the Ettenmoors. A mighty elf of a Noldorin house, he does not fear to stand alone against these mockeries of nature made by the Enemy. He is lightly armoured to best employ his speed and agility against the slow, stony brutes, but he wears a tall-crested helm and carries a slender but deadly iron mace with which to smite his foes. He considers it his duty to send the trolls back to the earth whence they were first wrenched.
I must say I’m quite pleased with the way this outfit turned out and I’ve been enjoying wearing it on one of my alts. I wanted to emphasise the thin decorative lines on the leggings and I chose the chest, shoulders, and helm to reflect that design.
- Head: Elven Pointed Helm (looted — world drop/general; or purchased — Rivendell medium armour vendor), burgundy
- Shoulders: Battle Pauldrons of the Mark (crafted — metalsmith T8/Men of the Sutcrofts reputation), burgundy
- Back: Elf-lord’s Cloak (purchased — LOTRO Store), turquoise
- Chest: Elven Skirmisher’s Armour (crafted — tailor T4; or looted — world drop/general; or purchased — Rivendell medium armour vendor), burgundy
- Hands: Elven Leather Gauntlets (looted — world drop/general; or purchased –Rivendell medium armour vendor), turquoise
- Legs: Trousers of the Hopeful Melody (bartered — skirmish camp classic quartermaster/Barad Guldur – level 65 light), washed
- Feet: Elven Skirmisher’s Boots Boots crafted — tailor T4; or looted — world drop/general; or purchased — Rivendell medium armour vendor), white
Tips: Many of the Shadows-of-Angmar-era Elvish-style helms look great with this outfit and you might wish to experiment with these to find the one you like best.
You may also like: