In the rugged moorland between the Rangers’ hidden fastness of Esteldín and the Dwarves’ mining-outpost of Othrikar is a rocky height upon which is built a beacon. Stone pillars support a roof over carefully stacked kindling, ready to be set alight should any danger threaten either the Rangers or the Dwarves. At need, a signal fire visible from the Kingsfell beacon can be lit in either settlement, alerting the beacon-keeper of impending peril.
This woman, one of the Rangers of Esteldín, is the one of the keepers of the Kingsfell beacon. She is encamped at the beacon and tends it carefully, ensuring that the wood is kept dry and undisturbed by beasts or weather. Ever watchful, should she spot a signal fire from either Othrikar or Esteldín, she is prepared to quickly light her own beacon by dousing it with oil and thrusting a burning brand within the stacked wood. With the fire thus kindled, a warning is sent up, alerting the other settlement to danger and calling for aid.
I put this outfit together using the boots as my starting point, because I really like them and I’d so far never found a good match for their reddish-orange colour. As the outfit came together, I thought that it looked quite Ranger-ish, but perhaps something a more settled Ranger might wear; that in turn made me think of Esteldín and the nearby beacon out in the Kingsfell, and the idea that, like the warning beacons of Gondor, someone might be stationed there to tend it. The beacon relay along the White Mountains of Gondor is of course a well-known feature of the story of The Lord of the Rings, and this simple signal in the North Downs seems like a nod to that on a much smaller scale. In the Primary World, beacon relays were of course historically used quite extensively in Scandinavia and in the British Isles.
- Head: Ceremonial Circlet of the Graven Word (bartered — skirmish camp cosmetics quartermaster/Rift cosmetic clothing – light), dark green
- Shoulders: Quilted Shoulder Guards (crafted — tailor T2; or looted — world drop/general; or purchased — Bree light armour vendor), forest green
- Back: Quilted Cloak (crafted — tailor T2), dark green
- Chest: Everstout (looted — world drop/level 48), Rivendell green
- Hands: Gloves of Lothlórien (crafted — tailor T6/Galadhrim reputation), dark green
- Legs: Tavol-socas (looted — Fangorn’s Edge/tier 2 chest), olive
- Feet: Ceremonial Nenuial’s Boots (bartered — skirmish camp cosmetics quartermaster/Annúminas cosmetic clothing), dark green
Tips: Everstout is a world drop item; there is another chest piece with the same appearance called the Wolfpelt Coat (looted — Sarnúr or Urugarth). The crafted gloves in this outfit have the same appearance as the gloves from the level 60 Moria instance light armour sets. Tavol-socas drops from the non-challenge chest in Fangorn’s Edge tier 2. It is bind on equip and thus can sometimes be found for sale at the auction house. If you can’t get your hands on Tavol-socas, Dwarf-make Campaigner’s Leggings (crafted — tailor T5) are a great alternative.
You may also like: