In the First Age of Middle-earth the Edain, the Fathers of Men, came in three tribes over the Blue Mountains and down into Beleriand. The wide lands of Beleriand were held by various princes of the Elves, but in time the Edain found friendship with the Elves and were granted lands to settle in exchange for their allegiance and assistance in combating the servants of Morgoth. Of the three houses of Men, the first kindred to cross the mountains was allied most closely to the Elves. Their chief, Balan, came to Nargothrond and remained there to serve the Elf-lord Finrod. Because of his loyal service, Balan took the name Bëor, meaning “vassal” in his own tongue, and this name came to be shared by his house. The House of Bëor in turn was granted a fief in Ladros, the highlands north of Dorthonion. Three successive Bëorian lords held sway over Ladros until Dagor Bragollach, the Battle of Sudden Flame, in which Morgoth’s forces overwhelmed the north and scattered the Edain.
This man of the House of Bëor serves the Lord of Ladros and through him Finrod of Nargothrond and his brothers Angrod and Aegnor. He is perforce a skilled woodsman in addition to being a gain warrior, for the upland of Ladros is hilly and wild; and incursions of Orcs from the North are a constant threat. He is clad in simple but serviceable mail with traces of Elvish style, as befits a loyal vassal to the Elf-princes of Beleriand.
This outfit came together because I noticed that the interesting, rusty colour of the mail on the chest piece was a good match for mail on the leggings. Prior to the In Their Absence instance cluster, no other piece (to my knowledge) had mail to match that unusual colour. Difficulties of matching it aside, I like the simple look of the chestpiece, and had experimented with using it in the past, but at that time I paired it with cloth leggings instead of armoured ones. Today’s outfit was a good opportunity to incorporate the chest piece into a fully-armoured look.
- Head: Ceremonial Spear-shaker’s Helm (bartered — skirmish camp cosmetics quartermaster/Helegrod cosmetic clothing – medium), white
- Shoulders: Survivors of Wildermore Medium Shoulderpads (bartered — Forlaw People of Wildermore quartermaster/People of Wildermore reputation), white
- Back: Traveller’s Cloak (crafted — tailor T3), white
- Chest: Dwarf-make Steel Armour (crafted — metalsmith T3; or looted — world drop/general), black
- Hands: Survivors of Wildermore Heavy Gauntlets (bartered — Forlaw People of Wildermore quartermaster/People of Wildermore reputation), white
- Legs: Lesser Defender of the West Leggings (bartered — Harndirion novices quartermaster/tier 1 difficulty Warden armour), umber
- Feet: Ceremonial Thrill-seeker’s Boots (bartered — skirmish camp cosmetics vendor/Rift cosmetic clothing – medium), white
Tips: The shoulders and gloves used in this outfit can be acquired from the People of Wildermore reputation barterer in Forlaw. They may also be available as selectable rewards from the Volume 3 Book 10 epic quest line in Wildermore, but I have not confirmed this.
You may also like: