In southern Gondor, on the Bay of Belfalas, was the headland of Dol Amroth, named for the Elf-king of Lórien who of old hurled himself into a storm-surge when his lady Nimrodel failed to join him upon the ship that was to carry them both to the Undying Lands. In memory of the loss of Amroth, the emblem of the Princes of Dol Amroth ever after was a silver swan-prowed ship upon a field of blue. This was the banner flown by the twenty-second Prince of Dol Amroth, Imrahil, during the War of the Ring, when he and his knights came to the aid of his late sister’s widower, Denethor II. Just prior to the siege of Minas Tirith, Imrahil led his cavalry out of the city gates to repel an attack by Southrons; this cavalry was comprised of the fabled Swan Knights of Dol Amroth.
This man is one of the Swan Knights, seen here in a tranquil garden in Dol Amroth on the eve of departure to beleaguered Minas Tirith. He is arrayed in his full battle armour: a strong breastplate over stout mail, with thick pauldrons and vambraces, all in the silver and blue of Dol Amroth. His helm bears an embossed likeness of proud silver swan’s wings. Finally, his magnificent blue cloak is embroidered with two regal white swans. Some of his armour and garments show an Elvish influence in their design, for the Princes of Dol Amroth are said to have a trace Elvish blood and furthermore are descended from a house of Númenórean Elendili, or Elf-friends.
I’ve always thought the Swan Knights were really intriguing, as is the backstory concerning how a line of Gondorian princes came to have Elvish blood (as commented on by Legolas in The Return of the King). When I finally picked up the helm I used in this outfit, I was so excited because I thought it would be a great basis for a Swan Knight outfit.
- Head: Reinforced Leather Dunlending Helm (quest reward — Dunland  Mean, Old Big Bloodtusk), Evendim blue
- Shoulders: Shoulder Guards of Might (looted — world drop/general), Evendim blue
- Back: Cloak of the Ibis (purchased — LOTRO Store), Evendim blue
- Chest: Smith-klath (looted — Urugarth), Evendim blue
- Hands: Bear-claws (looted — Carn Dûm/Mordirith), Evendim blue
- Legs: Elven Steel Leggings (crafted — metalsmith T3; purchased — Rivendell heavy armour vendor; or looted — world drop/general), Evendim blue
- Feet: Officer’s Boots (crafted — metalsmith T6), Evendim blue
Tips: Helms with the same appearance as the Reinforced Dunlending Leather Helm can be obtained via several quests in Dunland. It can also be obtained as the Rider’s Sturdy Helm (batered — Galtrev, Forthbrond or Grimbold’s Camp Rohirrim quartermaster). The gloves and chest piece in this outfit can also be found as general world drops.